Monday, April 16, 2012

Ran 13 This Morning!

My legs hurt still! I took it pretty slow - I should have warmed up more, but, like always, I only stretched a little. I had different aches all throughout my run. The wind today was minimal and the temperature was about 55 degrees. It was so nice & sunny! The hills killed me - normal.
My average pace was 10:42. My goal for the race is a 10 min pace. The total time I think was about two hours and seventeen minutes. (I deleted the time accidentally :(.. )
I decided for the next two weeks to focus on eating healthy and as clean as I can without counting calories. I know losing weight is an easy concept - eat less than you burn. But I honestly am not quite sure how many calories I should be eating with how much I am running and right now my goal is to do this race without injury or passing out. :) Steve has really encouraged me to not worry so much about losing weight until after my race. But so many people are making training for half marathons part of their weight loss program. So I don't know.


I found two recipes that I am excited to try tonight for dinner!! They are both on the Tone It Up nutrition plan. I love these girls!! They have great workouts that I have done and really push me to work hard! I have not paid to join their program but I have subscribed to their emails and every once in a while they send out great recipes! I kind of want to pay for the plan but it is more than Steve wants to pay. The diet is pretty clean eating - lots of protein as well. Nothing new - I know how to eat. I know what is good for your body and what is not. I don't have an excuse. I am really curious about all the recipes they have, though! I have done their abs work out videos a few times and some full body workouts. I have pretty much cut all lower body workouts because I am running so much. Doing lower body weights (even light ones) really work against my training. I still do a lot of abs work and upper body, though!
Now that I think about it - I did TABATA yesterday, four minutes of burpees. 20 seconds on, 10 seconds off, 8 rounds. WOW! My heart was POUNDING. I wonder if that might have something to do with my tired legs today!


Here are two Tone It up recipes I found on Pinterest (there is my healthy board! :D )


Kale Salad (Walmart is out of kale!! :( Sad. I will use spinach instead.)

Karena's Kale Salad
Servings: 10 -- big enough for a BBQ!  You can divide the portions equally if you want to make less servings.  This salad keeps well overnight too!  It's actually better tasting the longer it marinates :)
INGREDIENTS & INSTRUCTIONS--
  • 5-6 cups kale, washed and cut with kitchen scissors into thin strips.
  • 1/2 cup dried unsweetened cranberries.
  • 1/2 cup pine nuts.
  • 1/2 cup diced red onions.
  • 1/2 cup cherry red tomatoes
  • 1/3 cup feta cheese.  We suggest low-fat or non-fat.
  • juice of one lemon
  • 2 fresh diced garlic cloves
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
  • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Mix kale, cranberries, tomatoes, nuts, onions in a glass bowl.  In a separate dish, mix lemon juice, olive oil, vinegar, salt, pepper, garlic to make a dressing.  Pour dressing over kale and toss to coat evenly.  Refrigerate for at least 4 hours, overnight 6 hours or more is best!   Before serving, toss in feta cheese.



Three Bean Salad

INGREDIENTS-

  • 1 15-oz can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 15-oz can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 15-oz can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
  • 2 celery stalks, chopped fine
  • 1/2 red onion, chopped fine
  • 1 cup fresh, finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
  • 1 Tbsp fresh finely chopped rosemary
  • 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
  • 1/4 cup organic sugar or substitute for Stevia.  If you use Stevia, you won't need as much.
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper

INSTRUCTIONS-

  • In a large bowl, mix the beans, celery, onion, parsley and rosemary.
  • In a separate small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, sugar, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Add the dressing to the beans. Toss.
  • Chill beans in the refrigerator for several hours, the longer they soak the better the soak up the flavor!
Serves 4 to 8.

SO EXCITED ABOUT BOTH OF THESE :D Today before my run I ate protein packed chocolate banana cake that I made yesterday. I make them in a muffin tin - mistake! I had them with black coffee and just dipped it in. They came out so dry! I will try putting some apple sauce in this recipe next time I make it. After my run I had a shake made of one banana, about 1/3 cup of almond milk, 1 cup strawberries, 1 scoop protein powder, and like always SPINACH! :D I also  had four morning star "chicken" nuggets. Lots of protein! Yum! And of course - LOTS OF WATER. I've already had 32 ounces in the last three hours, and I hope to triple that by the end of the day. Not that hard with my nalgene :D

No comments:

Post a Comment